Love Nerd Poker. Hell, I have been listening to Earwolf since it became Earwolf from just the original Comedy Death Ray. Can still remember the first day Nerd Poker dropped I almost shit my pants due to over-excitement. Comedians playing D&D with Mr. Sark DM’ing?? Awesome.
All that being said I do have some fanboi bitchings that I just finally need to vent:
1) Forget Gerry: Gerry is the greatest, but when he can’t commit due to his busy schedule, don’t just use his character as a rental car for random guests. He played Winter for like 2 episodes, so to me Winter is an empty shell that has no known personality, and that sucks when you’re listening to a game that’s all about the characters. And his name wasn’t even Winter for his first episode. Fuck Winter, he should die saving the group already. Gerry would have killed him by now anyway.
2) More guests & use guest appearances better: This really makes me scratch my head. Brian & Blaine & Ken & Sarah seem to know most everyone in the comedy world, and Earwolf has a shit-ton of guests coming through all the time. Instead of reaching for the stars and talking about getting Vin Diesel someday, can’t we get Paul F. Tompkins, James Adomian, Brendon Small, Matt Besser or The Choctaw in for a few cameos? And instead of letting them drive whichever absent regular’s character that they know nor care nothing about, can’t they be like an innkeeper or merchant or king or someone that the party runs into and interacts with for an episode or two? Wouldn’t it be cool to tell James Adomian “ok, tonight for two hours you’re a crazy wizard that lives in a cave, and these 4 adventures cross your path… GO!”? Which would require some forethought, which brings me to…
3) Don’t just wing a campaign - this Blaine campaign is not really working for me. It started out as a one-off danger room with no real goal or MacGuffin, then they ran out of the city they were being chased from, then they wound up at that skeleton mountain monastery, then they fought and abandoned the fish invasion, now they’re in another continent with pretty colors. What? Please don’t Homeland Season 2 this podcast. And you can tell when listening that Brian is barely paying attention and doesn’t care what the group winds up doing. I feel for poor Sarah because her frustration with the meandering is pretty palpable at times, and she is a super player (if this show ever tanks I hope Sarah starts her own D&D podcast).
4) Mini-episodes: the donor shoutouts are cool, but take a page from Paul Scheer and HDTGM and crank out a bi-monthly 10 minute donor thank you apart from the game podcast. In today’s episode (Let Him Use His Illusion), they didn’t even start talking about the game until 16 minutes in, then they didn’t even take an action until 27 minutes in. The game action of the episode can seriously be condensed into Houg creates illusion/giants accidentally kill each other/the party abandons another potential happening with 3rd giant/they see a boat on a river. And all of that probably took up 17 actual minutes of the episode. What the shit, man.
5) Staying in character/Atmospheric soundtrack - I personally think it’d be even funnier if they all stayed in character more often. The whole “this is what we do when we play D&D we talk about random shit and hardly pay attention” thing is wearing me down. You’re on a audio entertainment platform now with an audience. Me and my friends get drunk and talk about farts and TV shows and tits too, but I don’t think it could carry the majority of a D&D podcast. And maybe throw in some background ambient sounds to crank up the atmosphere and bring the story to life a little, like forest noises or creepy dungeons creaks etc? Maybe from this page http://ift.tt/ZOkfF7
Now I know if Posehn sees this he’ll say fuck you it’s free, because that’s basically what he said a few weeks ago on similar notes, but it’s just a few things that I think would make this show even funnier. Any other NPfans want to chime in with suggestions or just tell me to get fucked to death by a horse like Mr. Hand, feel free.